Open Workshops – Difficult but Necessary Conversations
Difficult but Necessary Conversations
This 1 day workshop will assist the manager/ worker/ staff to understand and demonstrate the skills, techniques and model in having difficult but necessary conversations.
A difficult but necessary conversation is anything you find hard to talk about but know that you need to. The issue is often how to start sensitive conversations that will invite open and constructive dialogue. When interactions become difficult, emotions often escalate and communication can break down. We often fear having the difficult conversation as we are concerned that we may make the situation worse – so we may try to avoid it or if we know we have to have it, we may try and blunder through it. This course will provide the necessary understanding, skills and confidence to manage the discussion effectively. The difficult conversation in the workplace will be necessary for the manager with employees, between colleagues and with clients or students. It is also applicable for challenging interpersonal conversations.
Psychologists and social workers receive 7.5 CPD hours toward their professional development requirements.
On completing the 1-day course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate the 5 stage model including the initial ‘what happened’, feeling & identity conversations; and, the subsequent and transformative learning conversation
- Recognise early conflict signs and the feelings/ identity issues involved that make a conversation difficult
- Demonstrate how to start sensitive conversations in ways that invites open/ constructive dialogue and restores/ builds working relationships
- Communicate skilfully to avoid misunderstanding, defuse strong emotion and respond constructively to the other person
- Gain greater insight into the influence you can have in difficult conversations and gain greater confidence in having those conversations
- Create mutually satisfying outcomes by utilising a learning conversation to encourage collaborative negotiation and problem-solving
9:00am – 4:45pm
Each participant will receive a training manual.
Training Workshops (lunch & morning / afternoon tea included):
$390+GST = $429 (Early Bird – 2 months prior to start or AASW / ACWA member) or $420+GST = $462
Cancellation The following cancellation fees are per person per course. If notice is given more than 4 weeks prior to the course, a $90 administration fee applies. Between 2-4 weeks, 30% of the total is payable. Between 1-2 weeks, 50% is payable. Less than 1 week, full payment is required. Alternatively you may transfer another person in your place.