This 1-day workshop will assist the manager/ worker/ staff member to understand and demonstrate the skills, techniques and model in having difficult and necessary conversations.
A difficult and necessary conversation is anything you find hard to talk about but know that you need to. The issue is often how to start sensitive conversations that will invite open and constructive dialogue. When interactions become difficult, emotions often escalate and communication can break down. We often fear having the difficult conversation as we are concerned that we may make the situation worse – so we may try to avoid it or if we know we have to have it, we may try and blunder through it. This course will provide the necessary understanding, skills and confidence to manage the discussion effectively. The difficult conversation in the workplace will be necessary for the manager with employees, between colleagues and with clients or students. It is also applicable for challenging interpersonal conversations. This course will explore difficult conversations utilising the Harvard Negotiation Project model.
NB/ Members of the APS, the AASW + ACWA may also receive CPD hours toward their professional development requirements.
- Understand and demonstrate the Harvard Negotiation Project model including the initial ‘what happened’, feeling + identity conversations and the subsequent transformative learning conversation.
- Demonstrate how to start sensitive conversations that invites constructive dialogue and builds open communication.
- Know the importance of your purpose in a Difficult Conversation.
- Learn to have Difficult Conversations from a collaborative mindset (including the concepts of the ‘And Stance’, impact + intention and contribution) rather than from a battle of messages.
- Understand and incorporate the distinction between curiosity vs. certainty into Difficult Conversations.
- Learn how to deal with challenges in Difficult Conversations.
- Create mutually satisfying outcomes by utilising a learning conversation to encourage collaborative negotiation and problem-solving.
- Gain greater confidence in having Difficult Conversations.
Virtual Training Pricing
($418) for early bird (2 months prior)
($451) full fee
“10/10! What a SUPERSTAR facilitator!”